Friday 26 August 2011

At the Sign of the Sugared Plum by Mary Hooper


I read this book when I was on holiday in Spain and overall I really enjoyed it.

It's in first person, from the point of view of the protagonist, Hannah. She goes to London in 1665 to help her sister Sarah in the Sweetmeats shop. When she gets there she finds out that London is being taken over by the plague.

This is quite a short book, but it's pretty enjoyable. I've read Mary Hooper before, both her historical and contempory books and I do enjoy her work, but this one wasn't my favourite. I found it interesting finding out about the sweetmeats shop, and the apocathery's shop. Hooper is an excellent historical author and you do feel as if you are in the past.

I also liked the relationship between Hannah and Tom, as well as Sarah and Abby. However I found Hannah herself really selfish at times, which made it harder to like her.

The scene with Mew was heartbreaking (nothing like dying animals to get my heartstrings pulled) and the scene with the Thompsonses, and the little boy running away was also really sad. I found the ending slightly far fetched, but it wasn't overly ridiculous so I didn't mind too much. I'll definitely be looking out for the sequel, Petals in the Ashes.

4/5
author's website

No comments:

Post a Comment