Wednesday 31 August 2011

How to be Popular by Meg Cabot


I do enjoy Meg Cabot's books. This one was a library book that I brought with me on holiday. It's pretty much the definition of a holiday book: light, fluffy and funny.

Synopsis (taken from goodreads):
Do you want to be popular?
Everyone wants to be popular-but Steph Landry wants it more than most. Steph's been the least popular girl in class ever since she spilt red Super Big Gulp over Lauren Moffat's whit D7G miniskirt five years ago.
Does being popular matters?It matters very much - to Steph. That's why this year she's got a plan to get in with the It Crowd in no time flat. Her secret weapon: an old book called - what else? - How to be Popular.
But don't forget the most important thing about popularity!
It's easy to become popular. It's a lot less easy staying that way.

Review: This wasn't my favourite Meg Cabot book. It was in a diary format and I'm generally not as fond of diary style books, which is probably why I haven't touched the Princess Diaries yet. I just think that style often has characters that are more dislikeable. Still, it was a pretty good read.

Steph was annoying at times but not as selfish as I originally thought she would be. I liked that in the persuit of her popularity she didn't blank her old friends and tried to involve them as well. I also liked the fact that the way she went about being popular didn't involve being mean or malicious. I did take issue with the perving on her best friend/eventual love interest by watching him get changed, though.

Jason and Becca were interesting minor characters, as well as Darlene. The conclusion, when everyone tries to get into Steph's grandad's observatory for a party was good, and I remember feeling relieved that she came to her senses and kept them out. Jason hiding with a golf club to make sure that she made the right choice was also an amusing image. The resolution between Steph and Jason was rather obvious, but they were still pretty sweet together. The book turning out to just be a joke gift was also a nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment